On June 20th, 2023, The world of gastronomy came together in Valencia, Spain, tonight to celebrate The World’s 50 Best Restaurants awards 2023, sponsored by S.Pellegrino & Acqua Panna, with Lima’s Central named The World’s Best Restaurant 2023, as well as The Best Restaurant in South America 2023. The awards ceremony, held at the city’s Les Arts Opera House, honours the pinnacle of gastronomic talent from 24 territories across five continents.
Central, the flagship Lima restaurant of chefs Virgilio Martinez and Pía León, is crowned in the No.1 position, taking over from the 2022 winner, Geranium, Copenhagen, which is now elevated to the Best of the Best hall of fame. Placed at No.2 in the 2022 list, Central is an ode to Peru, with a menu that celebrates the unique biodiversity of the country’s indigenous ingredients – guided by its research arm, Mater Iniciativa – along with its traditions and history, whilst championing sustainability. Central is followed by Disfrutar (No.2) in Barcelona and Diverxo (No.3) in Madrid.
THE WORLD’S 50 BEST RESTAURANTS 2023 at a glance:
• Central in Lima is named The World’s Best Restaurant 2023, sponsored by S.Pellegrino & Acqua Panna
• Odette, Singapore is named The Best Restaurant in Asia, at No.14
• Odette’s chef Julien Royer also receives the Estrella Damm Chefs’ Choice Award
• Asia’s highest new entry is Le Du, Bangkok, at No.15
• Further Asian new entries for 2023 include Gaggan Anand, Bangkok (No.17) and Sézanne, Tokyo (No.37)
• Seven Asian restaurants are included in the list, from Singapore, Bangkok, Tokyo and Hong Kong
More information can be found at: https://www.theworlds50best.com/list/1-50
Source: The World’s 50 Best Restaurants